We all fear that stage of a child’s life when they decide to get moving and curious. They begin to crawl, shuffle and then delicately balance on those small feet of theirs and take their first steps. This is a time of fear for parents, grandparents and child minders when it comes to all the electrical appliances that surround us. Like everything in life we must teach our children how to respect the dangers of electricity and how to use electricity safely. Once they begin to crawl it is the parents responsibility to make sure your home is electrically safe for the little ones. Its an on going process teaching your kids the safety precautions of electricity, so here are a few things to remember.

Mom and Pop precautions:

  • Purchase safety caps and slot them into all unused electrical sockets.
  • Don’t leave cables lying around, we all know kids love to stick anything they can in their mouths.
  • Store away any electrical appliance out of a toddlers reach.
  • Elevate low standing lamps, yip, globes can be really hot to the touch.
  • Ensure that all wiring is not visible to the curious toddler, including the TV, DVD, cell phone chargers……you get the drift.

As they get older it is common sense that you explain electrical safety as it happens or if the kids ask. Humans are approximately 60% water and we know that water and electricity don’t mix. An electrical shock passes through the body easily and can result in great harm.

So some tips for future electrical safety education:

  • Never touch electrical appliances with wet hands, so after washing dishes, bating or washing a car etc make sure your hands are dry.
  • Pulling out a plug is not an art BUT we should not remove it by the cable, take the plug close to the wall and pull it firmly to remove it.It’s important not to leave electrical cables on the ground where they might be tripped on or damaged. If you absolutely have to make sure they are taped to the floor and not exposed.
  • An electrical socket is for a plug, please don’t put anything else in a socket.
  • Turn off electrical items when they are not using them, this will reduce the risk of an electric shock and save you money on power bills in the process.
  • Our kitchens are the worst safety hazard! I am sure we have all done it, tried to get that stuck piece of toast out with a knife…..zzzzaaappp! Until a child is old enough to be responsible, make it a rule that an adult has to be present at all times in the kitchen.

People continuously get shocked in their own homes, because of neglect, lack of understanding or possibly you have much on your mind and you are not paying attention. By applying a bit of common sense you can make your home safe for you and your family. Be aware and be safe!